On May 14th, 2019, a new plaque was installed on the facade of ICA GreenRise, a physical display of the building’s status as a Chicago Landmark. It reads:
Built in 1921, the Mutual Insurance Building exemplifies the development of Uptown as the city’s second ‘downtown.’ Originally four stories tall and purpose-built for commercial enterprises, the building was expanded four stories more when the demand for office space surged in Uptown during the 1920s. For four decades, the building was home to the company that shared its name.
ICA Greenrise was donated to ICA in 1972 by then-owner Kemper Insurance. It was recognized as historically significant by the Commission on Chicago Landmarks on January 10th, 2013. That same year, ICA renamed the building ICA GreenRise Uptown Learning Laboratory to signify its commitment to serving as a community hub and a physical demonstration of sustainability. Currently, GreenRise houses 25 nonprofit and social service organizations, an intentional residential community, four conference centers, and retreat space. Soon, the GreenRise Restoration Project will enhance the commercial space while preserving and highlighting its historic features such as the terra cotta facade and front lobby.
Comments are closed.